Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Orientation... 66% completed

Orientation for the VA is pretty extensive.  It's made up of  three days of the common HR policies drilled into the heads of 26 victims.  Today was a little more exciting than yesterday.  I was able to have lunch with my direct supervisor.  She seems like a very intelligent woman with a lot of direction to offer me.  I will mostly be working with one of her counterparts, Donald.  I met this gentleman for the first time today.  He's a very young guy who looks like he was a surfer in his past life. I am a little leery if I will have much in common with him - but, thats a very quick judgement, I only spoke to him for a grand total of two minutes today.

I am already starting to feel some of the pressure of having to balance my internship and school.  I found out yesterday that I to complete a new employee physical next Tuesday.  Of course, I should be working during the time of my physical.  Hopefully, my supervisor at GHC will be understanding of this.  I don't expect that she won't be, but I had to take 3 days this week for orientation.  

One of the frustrating aspects of the VA is the crazy lack of parking.  VA employees have to park near the DMV and take the bus to the VA and back to the DMV at the end of the day.   Today was the first time I had to deal with this drama.

The bus ride home today was very interesting.  As I was walking to the bus stop there was a sudden down pour that lasted about 15 minutes.  The bus came shortly after I arrive to the stop and the rain continued.  Ten minutes later the bus had made it about half down University Ave to find that it was flooded.  The bus driver proceeded through the new pond in the middle of the road.  As we hit about half way point, water started rushing into the bus via the two doors.  I was sitting towards the front of the bus facing the door.  I'm sure if anyone had taken a picture of me at the moment I realized the water was coming in, it would have been a look of complete horror.  Though it ended up not being that big of a deal, it was quite a sight.

Needless to say, getting back into my car at 4:40pm was a relief.

No comments:

Post a Comment