Saturday, August 21, 2010

Field Orientation

Today I got up knowing I was in for a long boring day.  I started by leaving at 7:30am, while my husband continued to sleep.  Orientation didn't start until 8:30, but I figured I'd get there early since there is always a chance of craziness in downtown Madison.  Thankfully, I went with my gut! I faced some serious construction with my planned route and also, of course, a running marathon was also going on.  So the place I had planned to park was completely inaccessible and I had to quickly figure out a plan b.

  The second parking ramp I found was filled to the brim.  Just before I was about to give up, a woman decided to back up quickly in the middle of one of the aisles.  She almost hit me.  I blasted on my horn and she continued to back up.  Finally she saw me and stopped. She parked and road past her.  A couple of minutes later, I found a spot right across from the woman who almost hit me.  She had two kids with her and I heard her say to them, "That's the woman who honked her horn at us."   It took everything out of me not to make a comment to her.  At this point its 8:21 and I didn't have time to tell this woman what my thoughts were.

I quickly hustled to the building to find that the end of marathon was right across the street from the building where orientation was being held.  As I realized it, I blurted out, "Ya gotta be kidding me!"

Thankfully all the chaos was held in the morning. The rest of the day was full of mind numbing basic social worky stuff.  Topics such as cultural competence, safety in the workplace, and interviewing clients.   Not the most exciting topics for an advance level masters social worker.  

Some great parts of the day including meeting one my professors that I will be working with this semester.  She's a very petite woman with a southeran background and continues to have a pretty noticable accent.  Some of my classmates from last year shared their opinions of her.  She's know to be a tough grader and very critical of papers.  Its hard to believe such a small, friendly woman could be feared.   I think I'll enjoy her class this semester.

No comments:

Post a Comment